Friday, August 31, 2012

The cow got her chain around it (water for the garden)


Mama Atwood had only a third grade education.  Her mother took her out of school to help with the chores at her boarding house.  Hence the colorful spelling and grammar in her letters.

August 6, 1932

About the trees that Son set out. One of the pecan trees is just fine and the other one I can’t tell if it has grown any at all since spring. One peach tree looks like it will die in spite of me. Though I forgot to water it at one time when I watered the other ones. Also one in the garden where the cow got her chain around it & peeled all the bark off is still living. ...Twice a week I have to carry 15 buckets of water out of the house around on the east side to the three that are around there. All the others I can reach with the hose, thank goodness.

I have already let a part of my garden die and about the water bill ....last month was a dollar and sixty-five cents over the minimum. And the month before it was fifty cents over, and it will go over again this month because I don't mean to let any more of my garden die. But I don't mean to pay any over a dollar and 75 cents either…... As long as I know others who has no meter. ....

No comments:

Post a Comment