Friday, August 31, 2012

Mama Atwood's gardening


Mama Atwood was a serious gardener; it helped to cope with poverty.  And she used organic pesticides like boiled tobacco juice.





April 15, 1928

Doesn’t it beat all...yesterday I told you how hot....and this morning it has sleeted and snowed all morning. The house tops and part of the ground is covered. it looks a little like it will stop though. And just think about it too. I have green cabbage out of my garden for dinner.


April 28, 1928

Yesterday I had peas and green cabbage and radishes out of my garden ....and Mrs. Spence the lady just behind me hollered at me and said, “You don't mean to tell me you have peas large enough to eat!” and I told her I most assuredly did and her and Mrs. Nabors came to the fence and Mrs. Nabors said, “My you are not lazy; you got up and worked and have a garden before any one else had.”

...my beans I replanted are coming up now and I also have squashes and canatalopes and cucumbers now ....I declare it is rather discouraging with the cold and the cut worms and grub worms and english sparrows and now the little green sucking lice has attacked my greens and if I can’t find something to kill or run them...in ten days time they will be sucked to death…..

I boiied some tobacco and took the juice and sprayed them just now. I don’t know if it will do any good or not. I am so mad because ...I intended to put out some tomato plants this afternoon but I am so sore I am afraid to do it. .....And my flowers are not all planted either....

No comments:

Post a Comment