Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mama Atwood named her babies herself (she says)

March 20th 1958

Dear Mamie,

….If you think anyone named you but me you are mistaken.  No one named you but me.  No one name any of my babies but me..except poor little Sammie (passed away at age 12) She helped me to name Thurston  She was sick at the time & she  liked the name so that is what it is.

You was named Frances Mamie after my mother (Frances Stovall Smith) and Mamie after Mr. King's sister. (Mr. King was Mamie's father.) as she seemed to be his favorite sister.  He spoke of her more than Hattie.  He was proud & said I would name you Frances Mamie and call you Mamie.

Sawmill near Stryker in east Texas where Mr. King was employed.  Notice the steam train in the center of the picture.

You was borned at Stryker near Corigan in Trinity County.  then we moved to Diball near Lufkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment