Monday, August 20, 2012

Letter from Thurston to his big sister Mamie 1928

Thurston was born in 1914. He was 14 years old when he wrote this.

Dear Sis,

I am going to get promoted this year.  School will be out soon.  My grades were: reading 88 spelling 99 arithmetic 71 language 80 geography 85 history 88.  There are 25 or 26 in the class and I ranked 13.

Arithmetic is hard.  I made 95 in deportment.

This summer I am going on the Scout camp and nothing is going to keep me from it.  I hope to get me a job this summer painting with Uncle Jess.  He will give me 25 cents an hour for painting houses.

Say, I weigh 115 lbs and I can whip Watt all over the house.  I can Ha! Ha! you write him and ask him if I whipped him over at Jack's house.  I did.

It won't be long until I am a 1st class Scout. I am going to get a merit badge for cycling.  I have to ride a bicycle 50 miles ini 10 hours.  I can, too.

Lots of love  "Bill"

Thurston, Manning, Edward and Watt Atwood 1928


No comments:

Post a Comment