Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Oath for Confederate Soldiers upon surrender

This is a transcription of the oath signed by my ancestor. Champion Easter Smith in 1865




I, C. E. Smith, Citizen of the State of Texas, do solemnly swear in the presence of Almighty God, that I will henceforth faithfully support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Union of the States thereunder, and that I will, in like manner, abide by a faithfully support all Acts of Congress, passed during this existing rebellion with reference to slaves, as so long and so far as not repealed, modified, and held void by Congress or by decision of the Supreme Court and that I will in like manner, abide by and faithfully support all Proclamations of the President made during this existing rebellion, having reference to slaves so long and so far as not modified or declared void by a decision of the Supreme Court so help me God.

Sworn and Subscribed before me, this 15th day of June, 1865

signed     C. E. Smith

The above named has dark complexion, dark hair, grey eyes, aged 32 years, and is 5 feet 5 inches tall.

John Phipps
Capt. 34 Division, Provost Marsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment