Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A letter to Manning from Mama Atwood in California

August 8, 1927

Dear Dady,

We got back from Yosemite last night at 11:45 and found your letter.


…I have seen some wonderfully pretty things in the last two weeks.  And rode most to the top of several of the High Sierra mountains.  and got lots of thrills. And my ticket home calls for a ride on the Ocean from here to San Francisco. And on the S. P. R. R.over the High Sierra mountains past part of the country I was over last week.  Then down through Nevada and part of Kansas to Denver, Colorado to Oklahoma, and on to Fort Worth.


I will have to go miles and miles under a snow shed in the High Sierra Mountains.  I saw the train passing through sheds where I will go.  They were then higher than I was.  And I was looking down on the tree tops many, many feet below me….


No comments:

Post a Comment