Monday, September 3, 2012

A letter from Mamie at age 11

(Mamie is the tallest child standing in back on this photo.)
Mamie was age 11 when she went to MIssissippi to share holidays with her father's family.  She wrote this letter home:

Dear Family,

I am having the best time.  I got more things Xmas day .  Cousin Fayette gave me a pair of bedroom slippers.  Mattie gave me a chamois skin and three hankercheifs.  Aunt Mattie gave me a hankercheif.

Cousin Hattie gave me a nice book.  Aunt Mary gave me a nice pair stockings.

Uncle George Blair Matties papa gave all of his children cousin Mattie and Couosin Fayette and Aunt Mary and myself a ten dollar bill.  Gordon or Buddy came Xmas morning but he didn’t know I was here.  He said he was going to send me something.

Uncle Will Hover gave me some hankercheifs.   Uncle Morgan Blair Matties Papa’s brother gave me a large nice box of chocolate candy.

Hattie, Mattie, Buddy and myself went to Pickens Monday morning and got back lst night (Tuesday night.)  we had a fine time we went out automobiling and had a fine time.

I have been doing so many nice things I haven’t had time to write.

Uncle George Blair is going to send me a picture of Papa.

I went out to the cemetery while I was at Pickens and saw Grandma. and Grandpa King’s grave,  my two aunts Mamie and Hattie, and aunt Hattie’s children.  I certainly had a nice time.  

Buddy went back to Memphis Monday night.  Mr. Blair went back to Takuloh (?) Sunday night and Hattie is going back to school tonight (Wed. night.)  Me and Mattie will be here by ourselves.

Aunt Mary said if she was able she would write a few lines, but she is in bed.  

One reason I didn’t write sooner, I wanted to tell you all what I got Xmas.  What did you all get?


No comments:

Post a Comment