Monday, September 3, 2012

Edward quits going to school 1924


(Edward was the eldest child of Manning and Mama Atwood.  He was Mamie's half-brother.  He was a very successful businessman and lived in Comanche most of his life.  His business was the Atwood Hatchery.

Mama wrote her very often about her life with the rest of her brood.)


I can’t for the life of me see why I can’t make or get Son to go back to school.  He got mad because I wouldn’t let him go right that evening & get him a pair of trousers & I can’t get him to go back at all.  I have offered to get him pants and even told him to go & let Gille measure him for a suit & he won’t do it.   

I met one of his teachers yesterday & she said he was passing in every thing & is just simply brilliant in science or chemistry, one or the other I forgot which.  It absolutely is worrying me to death nearly.  Dad seems indifferent about it.  But if I was big & strong enough I wouldn’t worry one bit I would whip him & make him go or put him out to hustle his own grub one or the other.   Well I must close

Lots of love      Mother

a few days later:


I received your letter and check today and am now returning check as I Positively cant get or make him go to school . I dont know what is the matter with him he just gets right bull headed when I speak about it.  so I have about give up if he wants to dig ditches and the like all his life, I can’t help it. he is old enough he ought to realize the value of an education and he is too large for me to whip & make go.

No comments:

Post a Comment