Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My dad as a band director

 Here are two pictures of my father, Thurston Atwood, at the beginning and at the end of his career
as a high school band director.  He started this work in 1947 and finally retired around 1965. For the first five years of his career as a band teacher, we were in Eastland, Texas.  His band won a first division at the annual IUL contest every year he was in Eastland. 

In 1952 we moved to Comanche, where he took up directing their high school band.  He was very popular in both towns, and became a member of the Texas Music Educators, and always had students in the All-State band or orchestra every year.



2 comments:

  1. Mr. Atwood:

    We have no idea how his 1934 HS Diploma ended up in my wife's gym bag NOR how long it has been in it. It is a rolled up document in pretty good shape.

    Let us know what you want us to do with this historical document.

    regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill I can't thank you enough. If you mail it to me Pat Reese at PO Box 841, Comanche, TX 76552 I will be happy to pay any expenses

      Delete