Saturday, March 31, 2012

Funeral Notice of Annie Barry 1917

For some time I have been meaning to post this funeral notice from 1917.  It is about the passing of my great-grandmother, Annie Barthel Barry.  I wrote about her to some extent at the beginning of this blog in January.

Annie was taken by "blood-poisoning" from a scratch on the back of  one of her legs.  It could have been tetanus, or an infection from the black stockings worn at that time.  She only lived three days after she fell ill, according to my mother, who was living in the Barry home at that time.

The funeral service was held in the American Presbyterian Church in Clarksville, where the Barry family stained-glass window still exists.  This is the site of the marriage of my grandparents as well.

These funeral notices were edged in black and printed on cards which were left in the post office and other establishments around town so that friends could attend the funeral.  These were still being used when I was a child in the 1940's and 50's. I remember seeing them at the post office in Comanche.

No comments:

Post a Comment