Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mama Atwood's raisin bread recipe


The Bread Frank likes best is made This way.:

Whole wheat Raisin bread:

One or two eggs
One cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon soda
salt to taste
1-1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and as much sugar as you can take up in one hand,
1 cup raisins
a little shortening.

This is a recipe of my own and Jack (Ernestine) and Frank is absolutely crazy about it. Jack will fill herself so full of it till she can't eat anything else.  I make it exactly like I do corn bread except I put raisins in it.

I make lovely whole wheat raisin Light bread but this is as good and not nearly so hard to make.  Besides This flour contains every bit of the whole wheat, and the Light bread always has to have white flour.  If I fail to make this bread one day Frank says “Mama please make some more raisin wheat bread”.  But he does not care much for the Bread with out the raisins and sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment