Tuesday, June 19, 2012

a letter from Thurston to Patsy Atwood Reese April 1958

Band Hall
April 2, 1958

Well spring has come; and I don't guess I have to mention that this is my favorite time of year.  My fancy is turned in different directions than it used to be….but it still turns, which is something.

The fishing bug  is really about to get the best of me,,,,Bob, Bill and I went out last Sunday…but too much wind kept us from fishing very long.

Thanks for the socks…I guess that you are about the only one who ha ever knitted me anything.  I am going to save them and wear them next football season.  I tried them out the other day..and I like the way my feet feel..I know they will be warm.

I think of you kids a lot…and wish I could share some of the happiness being around you.  But I know that it is re a l fine for you both to be so far away from the influences of parents.

…I will enclose a check for five for just being an expectant grandpa.  My gosh..it better be a girl.  So get something colored that will suit a girl.

Thanks for the pictures you're gonna take. …

73's and 88's  (that's ham talk for hugs and kisses)

Doc.

(Doc was Thurston's amateur radio "handle."  Amateur radio operators call themselves "hams."  Daddy and Uncle Ed both spent a lot of time with their "ham rigs" in  the late 1950's.)

when I find the photo of TR with his ham rig I will add it to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment