Sunday, April 8, 2012

Roy Rogers' autograph 1947


I was eight years old.  In those days I almost never missed a Saturday afternoon western movie.  Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with their music and adventures were my favorites.

So I wrote to Roy at the movie studio and asked him for his autograph.  He sent it right away.  I had been given an autograph book the Christmas before.  So I cut the autograph out and pasted it on a page in the book.  Others of my idols, (several school teachers, for example) also signed my book.  I still have it somewhere.

I happened to be in Vacaville, CA at the Roy Rogers museum when Roy passed away.  I picked a bunch of wildflowers and left them at the museum with a note about how much I cared for him and Dale.

Dale personally answered my note with a thank-you which I now have as well.  It is on the  back of a photo from her early days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment