Monday, April 9, 2012

courtship letter from Maggie Atwood to Manning Atwood


Mr. Manning Atwood
Emporia, Texas

Dear Friend:

I received your most welcome missive day before yesterday & rest assured the contents was duly noted.

Mr. Atwood I was surprised at you speaking as you did, as I had never thought of such a thing as you thinking  anything of me only as a friend. But don’t think now that I am mad or anything of the kind, for I am not mad at all.  But if you wish me to say anything on the subject I will beg you to wait a while.  Mr. Atwood, I am not mad with you for mentioning such a subject to me but I would  rather you had waited a while longer. 

I don’t know when I can come up there. But maybe in this month or in the next if not this will try to come this month though.  If I don’t come by the 20th of this month I won’t come at all until next month as my youngest married sister will be here then & I will have to stay with her.  As she is going to move to the panhandle the first of February & then I don’t know when I will see her again.

Mama wants to make her a visit before she moves and then I will have to stay here OU keep house. I will sure be lonesome then.

Mamie & I have been having a scrap.  She keeps meddling with things about the table U I have to whip her little hands much to keep her away.& when I whip her it hurts me worse than it hurts her.  But I have to do it or else be always after her to keep her out of mischief.

Papa told me to tell you he thanked you very much for your offer but said that those men here was depending on him & he could not give it up yet awhile & after he does give this (job) up then if you should happen to be out of a foreman he would be at your service.

I have not heard from Bro. Oscar King since about a month before I left Pickens & he was sick then.  We can’t imagine what is the matter that he don’t write..I have sent one of Mr. Kings pictures off to have enlarged; it will be here in a day or two. IK guess I am getting awful anxious for it to come.

I have written no less than a half dozen letters in the last 3 days & they was all terrible long ones & I am a little worried & have to write more this evening so I know you will excuse this uninteresting letter I will try to do better next time.

I will close now
Your true friend
Maggie King   Warren, Texas    no date.

No comments:

Post a Comment