Monday, January 30, 2012

Thurston and Ernestine under an umbrella


Thurston at age 6 with his sister, Ernestine "Jack"

Papa gave all of the girls nicknames that were boy's names.  Ruth was called "Zamp" but the only nickname that stuck was Ernestine's.  Familiy members called her Jack all of her life.


About this time Thurston wrote a note to big sister Mamie who was grown and living in Los Angeles.

It was enclosed in a letter his mother, Maggie sent.  It read:


Dear Mamie 

Will you send me a Uncle Wiggly book?  If you will I will give you a Xmas present and it will be a good one too.  

 Say did you know that I could read?  Why I am the best reader in my room.

Lots of love

Thurston.

Mama's note at the bottom:  Do for the love of Mike write to Thurston.

No comments:

Post a Comment